Source: Operation Lifesaver
- A person or vehicle is struck by a train roughly every three hours.
- 95% of all rail-related deaths involve drivers trying to beat the train or people trespassing on railroad tracks.
- More than 50% of people injured or killed while trespassing on railroad tracks had drugs or alcohol in their system.
Source: Federal Railroad Administration Database
- There are 4,793 total crossings in North Dakota. 3,533 are public with 2,756 that have passive warning signs, and 582 that have gates and lights. The remaining 1,243 are private crossings.
- Since 2010, there have been 138 highway-rail incidents with 56 injuries and 16 deaths, 14 trespasser injuries and 11 trespasser deaths in North Dakota.