North Dakota Statistics
• The most prevalent type of injury is upper extremity injuries, with a 5-year average of 39.5% of all claims.
• Strains are the most prevalent nature of injury, accounting for approximately 45% of all claims filed in 2021.
• The total covered workforce in North Dakota has decreased by 5% from 2017 – 2021
• The largest percentage of injury claims from 2017 – 2021 were in the 18 to 29 age range, with 29% of all claims
• The number of preventable work deaths decreased 9% in 2021, totaling 4,472
• In 2021, the industry sector experiencing the largest number of preventable fatal injuries was construction
• The industry sector experiencing the highest fatality rates per 100,000 workers was agriculture
• Production time lost in future years due to off-the-job injuries in 2021 will total an estimated 1,075,000,000 days