This position drives a culture of health and safety and leads the development, implementation, and evaluation of critical safety and environmental processes, programs, and procedures to promote and ensure effective safety operations throughout Midland Garage Door.
• Collaborate with management to develop, prepare, and implement safety policies and procedures
• Engage employees in all areas of the organization to promote a culture of health and safety
• Provide employees with safety-related information such as training sessions, emergency protocols, and proper use of safety equipment
• Review safety training and recommend revisions, improvements, and updates
• Investigate all accidents and injuries to institute changes that lead to a safer environment. Re-implement a near miss program
• Manage workers compensation claims at all locations
• Track days without injury at all locations
• First-aid responder and appoints redundant backups for day shift and all other shifts at all locations
• Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations
• Responsible for completion of required OSHA recordkeeping and reporting, including the OSHA 300 log
• Lead the Midland Garage Door Safety Committee and safety meetings
• Order and track inventory of all safety related supplies (ex. gloves, safety glasses, first-aid supplies, blood born pathogen kits, etc.)
• Organize reasonable suspicion training sessions at each location and make sure all current and new supervisors are trained
• Manage random drug screen testing program
• Identify and minimize potential operations and activities that could harm employees or equipment, including looking for ergonomic improvements
• Create and maintain safe operating procedures for equipment. Ensure all employees who use the equipment are trained before using and are re-trained annually
• Manage and conduct powered lift truck (forklift and scissor lift) training and certification program for all locations
• Oversee lockout tagout activities
• Conduct safety inspections and audits to assess employee compliance with safety regulations
• Conduct annual hearing testing for a control group
• Develop and train an emergency response plan – including conducting fire and tornado drills
• Update SDS manuals as needed
• Manage WSI safety discount program
• Maintain guest/visitor log and ensure all contractors have signed safety forms
• Travel to branch locations on a planned or immediate-need basis
• Provide backup support for managing Covid related absences
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Management
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to discover opportunities for improving conditions. Eyes and ears for all things safety
• A skilled communicator. Listens first and speaks second. Thinks about the message they deliver before they say/send it and how the message could be interpreted
• Extensive knowledge of safety policies and applicable Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards
• Maintain the highest standard in confidentiality with sensitive company and employee information
• Maintain a clean and organized workspace. Do not leave confidential information out for others to see
• Excellent time management abilities and a proven ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to remain professional and courteous at all times to employees or external contacts
• Represents the company with a professional appearance and professional behavior at all times.
• Recognizes that this is a high-profile position in the company and requires someone who sets the example in the areas of safety, productivity, work ethic, honesty, and performance
• Microsoft Office proficiency required. Especially in Excel, Word, and Outlook
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Health and Safety, Safety Engineering, Environmental Health, or related field preferred
• At least five years of occupational health and safety experience in an industrial environment required
• Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
• Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds at times
• Ability to travel throughout facility as required to conduct safety inspections
Planned and immediate-need travel to all locations
Midland Garage Door is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on account of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, age, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law.
Midland Garage Door will make reasonable accommodations to the known qualifying disabilities of applicants and employees when doing so will not impose an undue hardship. Applicant who believe they may need reasonable accommodation to enable them to participate in the application process should contact Human Resources.
I understand that neither the completion of this application nor any other part of my consideration for employment establishes any obligation for Midland Garage Door to hire me. If I am hires, I understand that except in the stat of Montana, my relationship with Midland Garage Door is referred to as “employment at will”. This means that my employment can be terminated at any time for any reason, with or without cause, with or without notice, by me or Midland Garage Door. I understand that my employment is “at will” and I acknowledge that no oral or written statements or representations regarding my employment can alter my at-will employment status, except for a written statement signed by me and the General Manager of Midland Garage Door.
I authorize Midland Garage Door to make a through investigation of my past personal, employment, education, financial, medical history, and other job-related activities as may be necessary in arriving at an employment decision and I release from all liability all persons, companies, and corporations supplying such information. I also indemnify this Company against any liability which might result from making such investigation. Additionally, I authorize Midland Garage Door to supply my employment record, in it’s sole discretion, in whole, or in part, to any prospective employer, government agency, or other party, with an interest that the Company deems appropriate.
I attest with my submitted application that I have given Midland Garage Door true and complete information on this application. No requested information has been concealed. If any information I have provided is untrue, or if I have concealed material information, I understand that this will constitute cause for the denial of employment or immediate dismissal, no matter when it is discovered by Midland Garage Door.
I understand that information provided regarding my current and/or previous employers may be used, and those employer(s) will be contacted, for the purpose of investigating my safety performance history as required by 49 CFR 391.23(d) and (e). I understand I have the right to: review information provided by previous employers; have errors in information corrected by previous employees and for those previous employers to re-send the corrected information to the prospective employer; and have a rebuttal statement attached to the challenge erroneous information if the previous employer(s) and I cannot agree on the accuracy of the information. My submission certifies that this application was completed by me, and that all entries on it and information in it are true and complete to the best of my knowledge.