Rick Halldorson has a background that stems from 28 years in industrial employment at an agricultural processing facility of 100 employees which includes 14 years of experience in safety management as safety coordinator for industry and construction.
Industry that included components of construction related jobs and safety oversight of 3 to 5 contract groups that were operating on the industry site at any time. Once to twice per year, for approximately 4 week periods, the contractor groups would add employees for mass upgrades and maintenance that would see the contractor numbers rise from a normal 15 to 20, up to 125 contractors on site.
Rick assisted in developing and upgrading programs before being appointed safety coordinator for the site.
Rick’s background includes program design, auditing, incident investigations, back-to-work programs and process safety management auditing.
At his previous position, Rick developed, organized and conducted training programs for 100 plant employees. Some of the safety duties included program development, maintenance, and training for industrial forklift, respiratory protection, industrial ergonomics, industrial rail yard safety, lockout of hazardous energy, permit required confined space entry and gas detection, behavior-based safety programs, safety committee development and management of the Workers Compensation program.
Rick served on the Board of Directors for the North Dakota Safety Council for six years in the early 2000’s. Rick started his employment at the North Dakota Safety Council in 2012 as a safety consultant. Rick is now the senior safety consultant for the NDSC and covers the eastern half of North Dakota.
North Dakota Safety Council, Authorized Instructor:
- OSHA Recordkeeping
- Permit Required Confined Spaces
- Lockout of Hazardous Energy
- Fall Protection
- Competent in Industrial Rail Yard Safety Program Administration
- Program Auditor for Process Safety Management for Flammable Chemicals
- Industrial Railyard Safety Presentations
- Respiratory Protection Program Administrator
National Safety Council Certified Instructor:
- Advanced Safety Certificate Program
- Defensive Driving Course- 4 Hour
- CPR/AED/First Aid – Adult
- CPR/AED/First Aid – Pediatric
- Lift Truck Operator Train-the-Trainer
- School Bus Driver Training
- Adverse Weather Safe Driving Course
OSHA 500 courses instructor:
- OSHA 500 – Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for Construction
- OSHA 501 – Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for General Industry
- OSHA 502 – Update for Construction Industry Outreach Trainers
- OSHA 503 – Update for General Industry Outreach Trainers
- OSHA 510 – Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction
- OSHA 511 – Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry
OSHA Training Institute (OTI), Authorized Trainer:
- OSHA 10 & 30 Hour Construction Industry
- OSHA 10 & 30 Hour General Industry
Senior Safety Consultant
What do you do at NDSC?
I am a safety consultant/trainer
Why is NDSC’s mission to prevent injuries and save lives important to you?
I have lost two friends to industrial incidents. Deaths on the workplace have to be eliminated. I want to do what I can to help achieve that and NDSC is a good fit for me to help everyone work safely and care about themselves and others.
What are your hobbies?
Heritage steam engineer, old tractors, fishing, hunting, camping
What other talents do you have?
Woodworking/carpentry, auto and equipment repair, welding and metalworking, Evangelism
“Instructor made the class easy to follow and had a great presentation.”
“It was great to have all my questions answered by an instructor that has worked in the field.”
“You can really tell that Rick enjoys what he does.”
“I really liked the instructor’s amount of knowledge and on-site experience, it allowed for a better training.”
“My favorite part of the course was the instructor’s knowledge and poise. He was very personable and had a sense of humor too!”
“Rick is a very thorough and experienced instructor that teaches from a position of experience that was appreciated by the group.”
“Rick is a very passionate and thoughtful instructor. I would take any course with him.”
“Excellent training. Rick makes information easy to understand and goes the extra mile to look things up and get answers and shares material.”
“Rick went over everything very well without being redundant or tedious.”