When management leadership is sincere and is supported by actions, workers know safety and health are important to business success. This means the steps they take to improve safety and health will be valued by the business. Top management can demonstrate its commitment in many different ways, including:
- Developing and communicating a safety and health policy statement.
- Providing the resources needed to implement and operate the program.
- Factoring safety and health into operational planning and decisions.
- Recognizing or rewarding safety and health contributions and achievements.
- Leading by example, by practicing safe behaviors and making safety part of daily conversations.
For free resources on management leadership, visit OSHA’s Safe + Sound website.